One thing I really miss from Django is Symfony’s @ParamConverter. It made my life so much easier while developing with Symfony. In Django, of course, there is get_object_or_404, but, for example, in one of my projects I had a view that had to resolve 6(!) objects from the URL, and writing
get_object_or_404six times is not what a programmer likes to do (yes, this view had a refactor later on). A quick Google search gave me one usable result (in French), but it was very generalized that I cannot always use. Also, it was using a middleware, which may introduce performance issues sometimes. So I decided to go with decorators, and at the end, I came up with this:
developer, systems engineer and administrator
Few days ago I needed to create style sheets with many rounded boxes, where different corners had to be rounded differently (think about Bootstrap’s button groups).
Few years ago I have signed up for a Digital Ocean account. I used one single droplet for my private needs, like hosting my private Git repositories and my blog. However, as I didn’t host anything else there except my blog, I decided to shut it down. From now on, my blog is on GitHub Pages, as it provides just everything I need (except automatically converting my resume to PDF. But I can live without that.)
Few months ago we “implemented” a bug in our software, which was released to the customers. We continued development for two weeks when the first customer ticket arrived about the bug. We successfully reproduced it with the customer’s version, but not with the development sources; it turned out that one of the developers unconsciously fixed the bug. The devs spent some hours finding where the fix lied before coming to me like “There is
git-bisectwhich we can use to find the commit where we messed up things. Is there a way to find where we fixed it?”
I have recently faced a problem, where I had a bunch of SVG files with a large amount of fraction numbers in the path definitions. These images were displayed in small size, so this amount of precision was irrelevant, and these numbers took almost half of my SVG images’ size. So I created an Elisp defun to round these numbers to 2 decimals:
I was a Vi/ViM user for years. For several reasons I had to change to Emacs now and then. And then, I found this. I surrender. Emacs is just better. (And it’s working even in plain text mode without graphics)
Gergely Polonkai is a systems engineer of a telco company, and also a freelancer developer.
He is learning about different IT subjects since the late 1990s. These include web development, application building, systems engineering, IT security and many others. He also dug his nose deeply into free software, dealing with different types of Linux and its applications, while also writing and contributing to some open source projects.
On this site he is writing posts about different stuff he faces during work (oh my, yet another IT solutions blog), hoping they can help others with their job, or just to get along with their brand new netbook that shipped with Linux.